Wednesday 31 October 2012

Updating to Windows 8

Updating ought to have been easy, but I found it incredibly frustrating.

First, I went to the upgrade site, but after getting all the way through the purchase process, it stated that the upgrade wasn’t for commercial use.

OK.  Off to Curry’s to reserve a DVD which also prevents me having to download the whole thing: Get Windows 8 upgrade on DVD from Currys at £49.99 and apparently doesn’t have the commercial restriction, a premium of £25.00.

When I got there I started looking at a new laptop as well, but that’s another story.

So, I’m now installing from the DVD I purchased.

The first thing I need to do is uninstall the incompatible apps (some Dell stuff, an Intel USB3 driver?, and Security Essentials!?) followed by a reboot.

I chose to keep my existing, files, programs and settings.

After quite a long delay, my machine installed devices, then spent quite awhile longer preparing. 

Another reboot, and “Moving your settings” was the next task.

Following that, a personalize choice, followed by connecting to the network via wireless (I’ll do that later).  I then chose express settings, and entered my previous admin password, and chose sign in without a Microsoft account.  After “Finalising your settings” a disconcerting black screen before “Hi” Finally appeared along with the W8 intro stuff.

It eventually booted into W8, so after the initial confusion about licensing, not too bad.

Installing the Windows Phone 8 SDK was a different matter though.  At this moment, still not done, so although I have Windows 8 Pro, it doesn’t do what it needs to.

No comments:

Post a Comment